This week’s favourite is a bit of shameless self-promotion, but it’s for a very good cause! I’d like to introduce to you the BCLA LGBTQ Interest Group Website!
The LGBTQ Interest Group is part of the British Columbia Library Association, and is a group of library staff and students across industries and specialties with an interest in LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, queer) topics and services.
We’ve launching a new website in the hopes that it will enable us to:
- reach out to LGBTQ library staff throughout British Columbia and beyond,
- provide resources for LGBTQ library staff and allies working to create safe and welcoming spaces within our communities,
- advocate for LGBTQ library staff and community members in our province.
We will be regularly posting exciting and informative content on our blog, including:
- Book reviews and recommended reads/views/listens
- Examples of community-led work or community voices from across B.C.
- Spotlights on what other provinces are doing to serve LGBTQ communities
- Information on relevant, topical issues facing libraries and LGBTQ communities today
- Interviews with an interesting and diverse group of individuals
- And more!
Everyone is invited to follow our blog, to comment on our posts, and to contact us with any information or ideas they’d like to share. We’re also looking for people interested in contributing content to our blog. The website is brand new, so we still have a lot of work to do, but we’re all very proud of our baby!
LGBTQ topics are close to my heart as I have several close friends and family members who identify as LGBT and/or Q, so I am thrilled to be a part of this exciting and engaged group, and encourage everyone to come along for the ride!